- About Us
- Programs & Resources
- Ministry & Personnel
- Property & Finance
- Contact Us
2015 BC Conference General Meeting
Live stream coverage
Watch recorded event coverage. A live stream service with four camera angles was available for anyone with an Internet connection for the duration of the General Meeting. Recorded coverage is now available on the BC Conference YouTube channel.
Participant Evaluation Survey
Share your experience of the 2015 BC Conference General Meeting by completing this survey.
Listening Group Presentation
A "listening group" was formed to consolidate and report back issues voiced at the 2015 General Meeting regarding the reports and proposals from the Comprehensive Review Task Force. The group delivered this PowerPoint presentation to members of the 2015 General Meeting. Watch video coverage of the presentation (starting at 2:07). Congregations are encouraged to continue discussing the Comprehensive Review using the prepared PowerPoint presentation.
The Listening Group has also prepared a letter to General Council expressing concerns outlined in the PowerPoint presentation in advance of the 42nd General Council in Corner Brook, NL this August.
View photos of the General Meeting experience by Megan Verhey, Doug Goodwin, Bruce Holvik and Kimiko Karpoff.
- BC Conference President-Elect: Cari Copeman-Haynes.
Note: The President-Elect of BC Conference will serve a two-year term on the BC Conference Executive, followed by a one-year term as President, replacing current President Keith Simmonds.
- General Council Commissioners: See lists below.
Note: General Council Commissioners will attend the 42nd General Council meeting, being held August 8-15, 2015 in Corner Brook, NL. They will also be “on call” as Commissioners for the following three years. Read about the selection process (PDF).
- Commissioners by virtue of office or policy value:
Cari Copeman-Haynes, BC Conference President-Elect (Fraser)
Graham Brownmiller, General Council Executive - Ordered Representative (Westminster)
Jean Macdonald, General Council Executive - Lay Representative
Maia Walker, Youth Pilgrim (Kamloops-Okanagan)
Keith Simmonds, BC Conference President (Victoria)
Debra Bowman, Nominee for Moderator (Vancouver South)
- Commissioners by election
Christine Boyle (Vancouver-Burrard)
Cathy Cryder (Vancouver South)
Kathie Davies (Fraser)
Rebecca Fillier (Cariboo)
Janet Gear (Vancouver-Burrard)
Mark Green (Victoria)
Robyn Green (Fraser)
Jim Hannah (Kamloops-Okanagan)
Kim Horwood (Kootenay)
Kathy Johnson (Kamloops-Okanagan)
R. G. Madziya (Comox-Nanaimo)
Michelle Matson (Kootenay)
Linda McLaren (Cariboo)
Teri Meyer (Prince Rupert)
Jay Olson (Westminster)
Maggie Rogers (Prince Rupert)
Michelle Slater (Victoria)
Will Sparks (Fraser)
Jim White (Prince Rupert)
Kaylyn Munro (Kamloops-Okanagan)
Carol Martin (Victoria)
Louise Cummings (Fraser)
- Commissioners by virtue of office or policy value:
Read this PDF for everything you need to know about proposals as a decision-making process for both BC Conference and General Council. Refer to the meeting minutes (coming soon) for pass/defeat results of each proposal.
Proposals for General Council:
- 2015-1: Amending “United in God’s Work” - Defeated
- 2015-2: Three Council Model - Defeated
- 2015-3: Concerning Covenants - Carried
- 2015-4: Regional Council - Defeated
- 2015-5: Israel-Palestine Two-State Solution - Carried
- 2015-6: A Just Peace - Carried
- 2015-7: Greenhouse Gas - Carried
- 2015-8: Climate Justice Discussion Circles - Carried
- 2015-9: Green Renewable Energy Investment - Carried
- 2015-10: Proportionally Representative Parliament - Carried
- 2015-11: Travel Carbon Tax - Carried
- 2015-12: Pension Board Divestment from Goldcorp - Carried
- 2015-13: United Church Women on Councils - Defeated
- 2015-14: United Church Women on Councils - Defeated
- 2015-15: Considering Terminology Used in United in God's Work - Carried
- 2015-16: Membership of Denominational Council - Defeated
- 2015-17: Clean Water - Carried
- 2015-18: Amendments to "United in God's Work" AMENDED - Carried
- 2015-19: Response to "United in God's Work" - Carried
Proposals for BC Conference:
Please note: All proposals for BC Conference were processed by the BC Conference Executive on June 16, 2015. Minutes coming soon.
- 2015-01: Moratorium on Fracking in BC - Received with the following actions:
- Endorse a moratorium on fracking in BC.
- Write a letter to the Government of British Columbia communicating this decision/policy and asking the Government to implement a moratorium. (Read the letter submitted to the BC Government.)
- Distribute educationl and worship resources related to frackin gin BC in a manner congruent with Conference budgets and priorities.
- 2015-02: Review of the LNG Vision in BC - Received with the following actions:
- Write a letter to the BC Government asking it to criticially review, with a view to abandoning, its LNG-based Economic Strategy in BC, as it now seems economically infeasible and harmful to the environment and aspirations of BC residents. (Read the letter submitted to the BC Government.)
- Distribute educational and worship resources for churches in BC on LNG in a manner congruent with Conference budgets and priorities.
- 2015-03: Foundation and Treasury Fossil Fuel Divestment - Received with no action taken.
- 2015-04: Endorsing the Pension Fund’s Compliance with Responsible Investment - Received with no action taken.
- 2015-05: BC Conference Narrative Budget - Received with no action taken.
- 2015-06: BC Conference Narrative Budget - Received with the proposed action taken.
- 2015-07: Support for Faithful Public Witness - Received with no action taken.
- 2015-08: Conference Venue - Discussion on Conference Proposal 2015-07 be postponed definitely until the November 2015 meeting of the Conference Executive.
Questions & Concerns
- Email: reception [at] bc [dot] united-church [dot] ca (subject: BC%20Conference%20General%20Meeting%202015) (BC Conference)
- Phone: 1-800-934-0434 (toll free in BC) or (604) 431-0434